Dartmouth's New President Phil Hanlon visits Hanover

The new Dartmouth College President, Phil Hanlon '77 addresses the Dartmouth community during his welcome reception.

Over the past few days I once again had the opportunity to spend some time following and photographing our new college president, Phil Hanlon.

President Hanlon waves hello to the audience before delivering a short speech.

The first shoot was at the President's house where he met and greeted the trustees. Then it was on to a press conference with media followed by a public welcome by in Spaulding Auditorium. Finally, he personally greeted members of the community in Alumni Hall.

People wait in line while Phil Hanlon and his wife Gail Gentes personally greet members of the community.

Then this morning, I photographed President Hanlon at a grad student reception immediately followed by a reception with undergrads in '53 Commons (the new name of Thayer Dining Hall).
This afternoon we walked over to watch part of the men's basketball team playing Harvard and then went over to Thompson arena to see the women's hockey team solidly defeat Princeton.

When photographing events, such as this graduate student reception for the incoming president, I like to get unique angles, such as this one from the second floor of the Life Science Building.

These can be tough assignments, as I'm constantly fighting my natural inclination to give people their personal space. When I use flash, I find it even more of a distraction. So what do I do?

President Phil Hanlon meets undergraduate students in '53 Commons dining hall.

Well, I do my job. And usually people in public positions, such as that of the President of Dartmouth College, understand that being photographed is part of their responsibilities. I try to never get in the way of a conversation, and I'm as friendly as I can be.

The best way to deal with it though, is to produce quality imagery. Once your subject knows that you will represent them in a positive light, they become much more likely to not resent your presence.


Fans at the basketball game get a chance to meet Phil and Gail.

For more photos from President Hanlon's visit, check out the set on the Dartmouth Flickr feed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cohos Trail Unsupported FKT - A Fast-packing Adventure in the Northern Forest

True's Ledges in West Lebanon

Snow Prediction Addiction! Part 1 (winter weather resources for those who love snow)