Dartmouth Alumni Magazine Cover for Jan/Feb 2013

My photo of Margaret Wheeler '97 adorns the cover of the newest issue of the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine.

...and some more photos from this summer. Read on...

Jevan and Dave are roped up as they travel near a crevasse.

Happy New Year. And a happy new year for myself as well, as my photo of Margaret Wheeler '97* is the newest Dartmouth Alumni Magazine cover. There are a few more photos of mine inside the magazine as well. Margaret's always smiling, so it wasn't a difficult assignment. (You can download the current issue for free on the website.)

On the glacier, we roped up in teams of two during our summit attempt on the final day of the course. Here Dave post holes so that I don't have to!

This past summer Dave Lysy '99, Jevan Stubits '01 and I took a five day glacier mountaineering course taught by Margaret out in the North Cascades National Park. We arranged it through Pro Guiding Services.

Jevan was on the front of my rope. The snow on top of Boston Glacier had a pretty styrofoamy consistency.


Margaret is an old friend as we worked together on a crew at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge. She's gone on to make quite a name for herself in the climbing community, and I can tell you from experience that she is a wonderful guide. Her energy and enthusiasm is infectious and she does a great job of explaining how to weigh risks and consequences.

An artsy shot taken while dangling from the end of a rope inside a crevasse.

As I ascended, being pulled up by Dave during his crevasse rescue training, I got this cool shot of both the inside of the crevasse and the mountains beyond.


During the course in early July, it snowed on us.  Although the rest of the United States did very poorly on snow last winter, the Pacific Northwest did pretty well. The glacier that we were training on (the Boston Glacier) was so covered in snow, we only had one crevasse in which to practice self-rescue. Sliding off the edge of the crevasse, and trusting that Dave would stop me in time with his ice axe was an exhilarating experience.

Our crew, with the Boston Glacier in North Cascades National Park just behind us. This is early July at only 5,000ft. (From left to right, me, Dave, Margaret & Jevan)


I'll write more about the course at a future date. Just thought I'd share the magazine news. It's a nice read and I'm always impressed with the quality of the Dartmouth Alumni Magazine.

My friend Freddie Wilkinson '02 with whom we took a class last winter as well, is featured in the magazine and so is Tyler Stableford '96 who is an amazing adventure and outdoor photographer.



* The year (ie '97) means that Margaret graduated from Dartmouth College in 1997. Silly custom us alums do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cohos Trail Unsupported FKT - A Fast-packing Adventure in the Northern Forest

True's Ledges in West Lebanon

Pinhoti 100 Race Report (and video)